For years, I had stumbled upon news and instances of my friends and their loved ones being diagnosed with cancer. And every time I came across such incidents, it never at all came across my mind that I would one day struck by the same fate… until one day in February 2007.
Discovery of lump
I discovered a lump on my right breast. Thinking that it might just be hormone change, I waited for another week to observe if the lump had gone away. My heart pumped faster I could remember as I noticed that it was still there. Feeling lost and confused, I consulted my general practitioner for check and advice. Ultra-sound and mammogram were the two things that were referred to me at that instant.
After 3 days, anxiously waiting for the results, I was back in the doctor’s office for consultation and counseling. My greatest fear was not at all overcome when she broke the news that the growth was likely to be cancerous. At that time, I felt my whole world crashed down upon me.
That led me to the next journey….
Pre-surgery counseling
I was referred to a surgeon at a specialist medical Centre for women. Biopsy’s result indicated the cells in the lumps were in fact cancerous and aggressive. I was given options of the followings:
1) Mastectomy (removal of the whole breast)
2) Lumpectomy (removal of lump and a small portion of the surrounding tissues)
Further to those options above, I was also advice to consider reconstructive surgery should I opt for mastectomy. I contacted my close friend who had been in the situation some two years earlier. It didn’t take me long to decide. I opted for mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. It happened so fast that I was already in the operating theatre in mid March 2007; just one month after the discovery.
Post Surgery
Physically, mentally and spiritually down and drained. I was feeling very weak and helpless. At that point of time, I was determined to get back to what I was before as soon as possible. I learnt to look at the bright side of believing that the discovery had indeed save my life. After one week in hospital after surgery, I was home resting. I was fidgeting and restless while my mobility is restricted.
I was back in the surgeon’s office after three weeks. I was slapped with another shock. Traces of cancerous cells were discovered in the tissue samples or nodes. I was again given two options:
1) Axillary dissection and lymph nodes removal
I opted for the former as psychologically, I believe removal is still the better option than just radiation therapy done externally. I was back again at the hospital bed for this procedure. This time it was just a minor one in contrast with the earlier operation I had three weeks earlier. Diagnosed with Breast Cancer Stage 2.
It was then visits after visits for follow-up checks to the surgeon and the introduction to the oncologist for further treatment. Next phase…. Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy
The first stage of chemotherapy was hell. It led to low immune system, feeling extremely weak and total hair loss. My menstrual cycle was affected and halted. Throughout this journey, I remained focus to recover as soon as possible. In all I went through total of 30 cycles of chemotherapy every three weeks. During this period, I remained active and was back to work in between my treatments. At the same time, I consumed health supplements to boost my immune system and observe a balanced diet.
Present
That was way back in 2007. I am now back to what I was before the diagnosed. I emerged myself stronger not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. A blessings in disguise in some way but it definitely has brought out the best in me and discover the strength I actually have inside me.
More interesting sand enriching experiences of ladies who are breast cancer survivors at:
The Breast Cancer Blog.
1) Cancer Free
2) Alternative Cancer Treatment Guide
3) Powerful & Practical: By a Doctor Who Cured Herself of Cancer
More interesting sand enriching experiences of ladies who are breast cancer survivors at:
The Breast Cancer Blog.
1) Cancer Free
2) Alternative Cancer Treatment Guide
3) Powerful & Practical: By a Doctor Who Cured Herself of Cancer
